The foundation stone for New Brighton's lighthouse was laid on 8th June 1827 by the Mayor of Liverpool, Thomas Littledale. The light was first opened on 1st March 1830. It was designed by Corporation Surveyor John Foster Junior. It is built using dovetaied Anglesey granite blocks. Each course is fastened together using dowels and trenails. The completed structure is covered with puzzolana, a type of volcanic ash, found in Puzzioli near Naples. When mixed with mortar it forms a hydraulic cement that sets harder then stone.
Mr. R. W. Johnson
126 Higher Hillgate