16: Red Noses, New Brighton

Red Noses, New BrightonRed Noses, New Brighton

The Red Noses are sandstone outcrops above which William Rowson built his home, Cliff Villa. This is possibly the building on the extreme right of the card. Cliff Villa was demolished in 1960. The land is now occupied by a multi-storey building of flats know as the Cliff Estate. Before its demise Cliff Villa was, in the 1930s, home to the Guide Dogs for the Blind Committee (later the Guilde Dogs for the Blind Association). The three buildings on the left are Ewart House, Ewart Villas and Rock Villa. Ewart House has since been replaced by the flats of Portland Court. Card 27, dated 1905, has a similar view of the rocks and houses.